Monday 5 September 2011

Hannah and Jason's First Time Limetree Festival experience 2011

Driving down the winding country roads with “I Love Rock and Roll” blasting from the stereo, I felt a wave of excitement as we drew close to Limetree Festival. This was my first time at Limetree and I didn’t know what to expect.
Once the tent was up in the family tent area I couldn’t wait to explore my surroundings. I could see the Main Stage on the next field. Immediately I noticed just how friendly everyone was.
After dumping my bags in the tent I walked up to the first field (main camp site) to collect my wristband as there was six fields in total this gave me a chance to get a feel for the different vibes of each. Collecting my wristband was easy enough I was dealt with quickly and efficiently and was also given a programme to wear around my neck I soon realised just how useful this was to me throughout the weekend.

 
Being part of the Yorkshire Gig Guide team I was intrigued as to what our Stage and Media tent would be like. I quickly walked past the food stalls and all the delicious aromas on my way to the stage though I did stop for a cheese and caramelised onion toasty at Tin Can Toaster. I was impressed to find the prices very reasonable so I ordered a hot chocolate as well.
  

Making my way up to the Yorkshire Gig Guide tent I was asked to show my wristband and again the steward who asked was very polite and chatty. The marquee was nice and cosy with a small stage and open sides, this helped as I would later find out! The tent was decorated in pictures of the bands that were playing the Yorkshire Gig Guide stage adding a nice personal touch. The Media lounge was spacious and comfortable with a coconut husk flooring for extra warmth and luxury. Our stage areas were placed in a perfect spot at the top of the hill; you could see all the other fields tents and stages from where we stood.

 
Steadily festival goers started to arrive and before long the party had started. It wasn’t long before the acoustic tent was in full swing with the likes of Kim and Seb who sang songs such as Right track and Take me away. Kim and Seb met at an open mic night and gelled so well they got together to create the band. 

 
Our open mic tent was overwhelmed with interest from artist wanting to perform. The line-up was fully booked over the whole weekend from 11am until 9 pm. With the likes of Ryan Spendlove, Strid, Circus Envy, Sea Fret, Rodina, Lightning Sykes and Miranda vs. the Croc who was the Headliner for Leeds Fringe. 

The atmosphere was amazing and the crowd was buzzing. The acts were from all walks of life and each style unique in its own right. There was folk, rock, rapping, indie, reggae plus many more. Some cover songs, some written by the artists and others a mix of both every act having their own personal inspiration.
Hannah and I were covering the dance and DJ aspect of Limetree.
Walking down the dance therapy village I wasn’t sure what to expect most of the artists I had never heard 

of so I was intrigued as to what may be going on there. In the Sorted Dance marquee there was such a chilled atmosphere and the bar staff were friendly and welcoming. 
I knew immediately I would enjoy spending time in here after a heavy night! The background music was relaxed and comfortable to listen to. I started chatting to some of the other people in the marquee about where they were from, who they had come to see and what they were expecting to do over the weekend. 
After chatting to a few people the tent started to steadily fill the sense of anticipation began to grow, I could see the first artist getting ready to start. The mix of people in this tent was different from the ones in the acoustic tent.
I was later introduced to DJ Buckley who plays most weekends in Leeds city centre at a night club called Back to Basics. After liaising for a few minutes Buckley mingled with the crowd and was happy to have his photo taken and chat with the children who felt just as welcomed as the Adults.

  
Later on that night as the children were settled down and the surroundings became more adult like, the DJs were playing some easy listening and the tent was filling up. As everyone was chatting drinking and dancing.
  
The DJ stopped the music everything went quiet then he dropped an old favourite Wu Tang Clan. This was the start and the crowd really began to dance. The more songs that were played the more 

the crowd got into the mood; the night took shape and up got Jason Messiah and Soul Deep with some live rap and I was ready and in the groove.
  
These boys knew exactly how to gain the respect of the crowd they started quite mellow showing skill working the audience with their poetic style. Each song a little more hype than the last, as Jason Messiah spat flow after flow Soul Deep filled gaps and brought the melody, this polished act soon had the crowd eating out the palms of their hands. 

I was very impressed about half way through the set the gloves came off so to speak. He was in the zone feeding off the emotions of the crowd the lyrics became deeper and slightly more political; this was exactly what I had come to see.
 
Jason Messiah  Age 25 (see link showing his skills) http://youtu.be/lozQTkMFWv4
  
Follow Jason Messiah
www.facebook.com/jason.massiah

Soul Deep

Soul Deep
Age 27 was quoted as saying “An appreciation for the fact that, life without music, is a life I'm glad that I don't know”

(see link showing his skills) http://youtu.be/isT1JhGfhrk

The night was getting better all the time, the next DJ set the marquee buzzing full of excitement with one of the best performances I have ever seen from Ball-Zee UK Beat box Champion 2011. Based in: Huddersfield Known For: 2011  Vauxhall UK Beat box Champion  2007, 2008, 2011, Vauxhall UK Beat box North Heat winner, Former winner of King of the Jam

Ball-Zee Aka Patrick Hirst is the UK beat box champion 2011. Conjuring everything from deep, dirty bass lines, heavy hitting drum beats and amazingly realistic sound fx using only the power of his vocal chords and mouth! Ball-Zee is currently touring his solo beat box show round venues in the UK and Europe, stunning crowds and bringing the noise wherever he goes! After 3 years of holding the Northern beat box crown, Ball-Zee has finally claimed his long deserved place as the UK's No.1 beat boxer, and will be progressing to the world championships in Berlin to represent the UK.
More than just impressive Ball-Zee really brought a level of skill that took the night to another level the mixture of his beat boxing and Mc spitting made his visit to the tent an experience I will never forget. Ball-Zee Links http://youtu.be/pHsHAkJifd4 

http://youtu.be/JXq4LjU6LJI
Ball-Zee’s performance sent the crowd wild, he took the roof off that night.
The silent disco was definitely an experience. As we were handed headphones to put on it then became your own choice to listen to music or just keep them on around your neck so you could chat away to others without hearing the music. This was lots of fun, when you couldn’t hear the music you could still see people dancing. The music on the menu was urban classics and chilled out dance. The dance marquee was heaving and it was a really enjoyable night.
The next few days were equally as good and although the weather had taken a turn for the worst and it was very muddy nobody’s spirits was dampened. The main stage was in full swing with Soulfunkful playing at their best they are from Sheffield and only formed last year. They are very popular and asked back to every event they have played at. An appreciative audience gathered despite the weather.
Our children Tyyler Henderson aged nine, Cavell Heaton aged six and Celica Leader aged 10 had already gone up to the Butterfingers Kreative kids zone area where they enjoyed spending may hours This area was open from 10 o’clock and based around five tepees. The staff had all gone through the necessary checks and had a great deal of time for the kids. I was in for a little treat later when the children put on a Dance for the Adults. There was so much for them to do. The main organiser Helen had really taken them under her wing and allowed them to help out with odd jobs around the kids zone. The children had a story to tell every time they came back and were extremely excited to tell us all about their adventure on the nature walk. As there was a circus theme the children were taught circus skills, like juggling and stilt walking. There were interactive workshops and there was even a van the children could paint on at the pixie tent. They were given free canvas goodie bags that contained juggling balls and scarves and information on how to practice at home.
I left the children and went to check out the drum and bass tent even though drum and bass isn’t a personal favourite of mine. I still wanted to see what it would be like. The size was perfect for the amount of people who were in the Bookyball Dome tent and the music wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. I felt comfortable dancing away to music that is not really my scene. DJ Ste Guthrie Was playing and I really enjoyed the energy of the tent and although not as popular as the other tents it was an all round nice experience. Heading back towards the acoustic tent I bought a pizza for the children from the Pizza Wood burner. My pizza was cooked in a clay oven as I waited. It was very nice with a choice of toppings .
The kids zone was based next to the Yorkshire Gig Guide Acoustic tent so as the kids enjoyed their pizza I went to support our clientele. By this point the tent was heaving and people were spilling out on to the field,( hence the fact that open sides on the tent was a good idea) Reverend Chunky (Cleve Feckelton )was playing his last set . I was a bit gutted because I am a fan of his but I would catch him later on the main stage. He really knows how to captivate the crowd with his powerful, soulful voice. The crowd went wild for Reverend Chunky, It was delightful.
Lighting Sykes was setting up to do her half hour set and what a fantastic set it was with her own original sound Lightning wowed the crowds with her own lyrics and music. Lightning started out with her own night based in the hip city of Leeds called Lyrically Justified where she ran an open mic night for all walks of life from singers to comediennes, beat boxers to poets. This night was so successful that it still runs today at the Carpe Diem. Sykes has gone on to do Radio and travel to different areas to promote herself and work with some great people. Her style of music included both rapping and singing.
As the weekend was growing to a close I felt a little disappointed, I was having a great time and it was passing too quickly.
The last day did not disappoint on the music front though as the weekend went out with a bang. When Majestics came on the main stage I was really in my element. Majestics is a Roots Rock Reggae Band fronted by Faadaras,(vocals) alongside Jimmy (guitar) Russel,(guitar and keys) Tony,(bass) Sam,(drums) They started out in the late 70s and have been around ever since. They took some time out in the 90s but are now back bigger and just as good as they were back then. They are now working on their first album with the message of love coming through their songs. I stayed and danced through the whole set that they played on the main stage with songs from artists such as Bob Marley. They performed with joyful energy and mingled with the crowd when they had finished. As the evening grew closer, the Bet Lynch tent was the perfect place to go to get out of the rain and a harpist playing music tranquil and easy listening was soothing to the senses.
Everybody gathered for the finale party, adults and children alike to the main stage to listen to the farewell joyous soulful Reverend Chunky who sent out a huge message of love through his songs to the enthralled Limetree Festival revellers.
This was augmented by Jilly Riley singing her message of racial Harmony joined by singer, songwriter, DJ and producer Robert Owens on stage (and anyone on the dance scene can tell you that they know his music). His more well known songs include Tears, I’ll be your friend and Ordinary people. Frank Benbini better known as one of the Fun Loving Criminals was on the drums. Frank has toured the world and has had many TV appearances. He had the opportunity to be anywhere in the world and he chose to be at Limetree, what a Legend!!
Together they made up The Limetree Family Affair, a lovely powerful, soulful, anthemic  and emotional end to a fantastic weekend the Limetree crowd danced whistled and cheered. There was unity and togetherness and friendship throughout the Limetree weekend and although this sounds a bit cliché I will definitely be coming back next year and I can’t wait to see what's in store for us then. Limetree was a fantastic memorable weekend and definitely one to be telling all my friends about.

Hannah Heaton and Jason Castle.
YorkshireGigGuide

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Had a tear in my eyes reading this. Thank you for supporting what I believe is a great festival. I am also very happy to be a supporter of Yorkshire Gig Guide. Peace, Love and Happiness x